Top Vitamin C-rich fruits to add to your diet
Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that plays a key role in many of the body’s functions. It is necessary for the production of collagen, which helps to maintain healthy skin and connective tissue, as well as for the absorption of iron from the diet. Vitamin C is also a powerful antioxidant, which means it can help protect the body from harmful molecules called free radicals.
There are many fruits that are high in vitamin C, making them a great choice to add to your diet.
Some of the top vitamin C-rich fruits include:
- Oranges: Oranges are perhaps the most well-known source of vitamin C. Oranges are also a good source of fiber and potassium.
- Strawberries: Strawberries are another popular fruit that is high in vitamin C. Strawberries are also a good source of antioxidants and phytochemicals, which are plant compounds that may have health benefits.
- Pineapple: Pineapple is a tropical fruit that is also high in vitamin C. Pineapple is also a good source of the enzyme bromelain, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mango: Mango is another tropical fruit that is high in vitamin C. Mangoes are also a good source of beta-carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A.
- Kiwi: Kiwi is a small fruit that is packed with vitamin C. Kiwis are also a good source of vitamin E and potassium.
In addition to these fruits, other vitamin C-rich foods include red and green bell peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and tomatoes. It’s important to note that vitamin C is a water-soluble nutrient, which means it is not stored in the body. This means that you need to consume foods that are high in vitamin C on a regular basis to ensure that you are getting enough of this important nutrient.